For many, but especially the banana lover, banana bread is an indulgent snack. Made of well-ripened bananas crushed into a baked bread mix, this snack offers a distinct taste all its own. This treat, whether in its basic form or with embellishments is a true classic. For those watching their sugar intake, here is a version that allows you to enjoy this all-time favorite retaining sweetness, naturally. Thanks to the over-ripe bananas, it is quite simple to make too.
It’s All In The Banana
But before diving into the actual recipe, let us examine the single, most crucial ingredient, the banana itself. A well-ripened banana greatly determines the taste outcome of your banana bread. In fact, ‘ripe’ might not be the apt term but rather, ‘over-ripe’. The fruit should be so mushy that you would typically not eat it. Externally, the usual yellow peeling should already appear blemished in dark brown or black. A trade secret of banana bread enthusiasts is that the more over-ripe the banana, the sweeter the bread. This is how some bakers tweak the taste without introducing sugar. Enough said, let’s move on to baking our sugar-free treat.
Sugar-Free Banana Bread Snack
- 6 peeled and diced over-ripe bananas over (tweak over-ripeness for sweetness)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- One tablespoon vanilla extract
To begin with, first, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place all the bananas together on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15-20 minutes and stop when they begin to caramelize. Take them out to totally cool, and then mash prior to continuing. Bring down oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Prepare an 8”x 4” loaf pan and set aside (lightly grease). Using a bowl combine the oil, roasted bananas as well as the caramelized drippings, vanilla extract, and eggs. Sift in the baking soda, salt, and flour and stir until they all combine. Once done, place the batter into the prepared 8”x 4” loaf pan and bake for approximately 60 mins. Use a toothpick to check doneness. Allow cooling prior to slicing. Enjoy your sugar-free banana bread snack.
Health Benefits Of Banana Bread
Although a banana bread sounds healthy, it can be either a boon or a bane. That completely depends on how you choose to eat it. But, a homemade banana bread following our recipe is definitely a boon. Let us see some of the health benefits of this tasty bread.
- Bananas are an essential nutrient and are packed with carbohydrates. They are essential for mental and physical development processes. These fruits effectively lower the risk of heart diseases, cancer, and improves blood pressure and digestive health.
- They are a great source of proteins and help in building your body in a proper manner. Proteins help in stabilizing blood sugar levels, thus keeping you fit and active. Besides, this bread is a great source of probiotics or good fat. Thus, they can serve as a healthy snack even when you are in a weight-loss diet.
The above-listed benefits are only a few from the plethora of advantages that one can reap from this healthy and tasty bread. Try it for yourself and do let us know!